Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

The Greatest Fish Recipe - The New York Times

Good morning. The autumn migration continues along the East Coast, with striped bass and false albacore oozing south to the Carolinas, feasting on bait. Here are Bluefin tuna in close to shore, whales, gannets divebombing in formation. It’s wild. They’re harvesting Canada geese in western Nassau County, a bag limit of eight a day. Some sharpies I know pile the breasts into smokers, make what amounts to avian ham.

That’s good eating and seasonal and the sort of thing to remind you that this beauty is fleeting. Soon the harvest will be over. Soon our recipes will fill with root vegetables. Soon there will be stew.

So let’s celebrate while we can. Tautog is in season where I buy my fish, so this week I’ll use the fillets for Julia Moskin’s pan-roasted fish with herb butter (above), the single-greatest fish recipe I’ve ever used, mostly because it gave me a technique for fish cooking that I will use for the rest of my life — frying the fillets hard and crusty on one side, then turning them over for just a kiss of extra heat and a bath of butter.

I’ll cook beets and broccoli this week as well, and carrots and eggplants. I’ll slice radishes thin for use in sandwiches with good butter and salt. I’ll have salad for dinner, as often as possible.

But I won’t have it every dinner! No, it’d be great to eat some orange beef this week, to drink a Nor’easter, to enjoy some roasted porgy with aligot.

And absolutely I’d like to make a weeknight pie or galette, something to remind me that even as we commute in darkness, even as we light fires against the chill of morning, that sunlight and heat are nearby, that they will return again. And so: this fruit galette with apple-cider caramel; this apple pie; this foolproof tarte Tatin.

You can find thousands and thousands more recipes to cook this week on NYT Cooking. Yes, you need a subscription to access them. (Maybe someone in your life can buy you a gift subscription?) Subscriptions are the fuel that powers our stove.

Come visit us for free, however, on Facebook and Instagram, on Twitter and YouTube. And you can always write us for help with your cooking or our technology: cookingcare@nytimes.com. We will get back to you. (If you’re exercised about it, write me: foodeditor@nytimes.com. I don’t dance well. But I can take a punch.)

Now, how much experience do you have with putting up clams? I’m starting with an old Irish recipe I found: “Boil them from the shells, and take them out with a skimmer and put them into a basin; take of their own liquor half enough to cover over them, and the same quantity of strong vinegar. Whole pepper, allspice and mace, each a teaspoonful; make this hot and then pour it over the clams. After 24 hours, they are fit for eating, and will keep good for a long time.” Really? Any and all advice welcome.

It’s nothing to do with victuals, but here’s Brian Goedde thinking about “Goodnight Moon” in the pages of the Los Angeles Review of Books.

The Museum of Modern Art reopened today in Manhattan. Holland Cotter reviewed it in The Times. Peter Schjeldahl drew that duty for The New Yorker. See what you think.

And in case you missed it last week, do read this remarkable Times story by Thomas Rogers about Norwegian novelists mining reality for fiction and how that can lead to conflict and sales.

Finally, let’s check in with Maangchi, who taught me to make fire chicken this summer. (Here’s the recipe.) She has a new recipe up on her YouTube page for tofu and bok choy doenjang soup. Dinner tomorrow? We’ll see. I’ll be back on Wednesday.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"fish" - Google News
October 21, 2019 at 09:30PM
https://ift.tt/2PcIKsN

The Greatest Fish Recipe - The New York Times
"fish" - Google News
https://ift.tt/35JkYuc
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update

No comments:

Post a Comment